University and Endowed Fellowships (M-Z)

Browse alphabetically:
A
B C D E F G H I J  K L 
M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

M

Gordon Macdonald Fellowship.
This fellowship, unrestricted as to field of study, was established in 1908 by Mr. James Speyer as a memorial to his friend and partner Gordon Macdonald.

Charles V. Maddux ’05 Scholarship.
Established in 1974 by the estate of Charles V. Maddux, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

David Magie Bequest Fund.
Established through bequest in 1963, provides support for graduate students in the Department of Classics.

Kirtland Manley ’31 Merit Fellowship.
Established by the estate of Kirtland Manley, this fellowship is awarded by the Graduate School to a student of merit. It is not restricted to an area of study.

George Williamson Mann, Class of 1872, Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1943 under the will of Mrs. George W. Mann in memory of her husband, George Williamson Mann, Class of 1872.

Manners Fund.
Established in 1914 under the will of Edwin Manners, the fund provides support for advanced fellowships in the fields of English and history.

William Marburg of A. Scholarship.
Established by the bequest of William Marburg of A. in 1952, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Fausta Marchese Endowed Fellowship Fund.  
Established in 1995 with a gift from Mr. Robert E. Waite, this endowment provides fellowship support for students of environmental or ecological studies.

Arthur W. Marks, Class of 1919, Scholarship.
Established by a bequest from Arthur W. Marks, Class of 1919 for undergraduate and graduate aid.

C. Frederick Martin ’16 Scholarship.
Established in 1986 by C. Frederick Martin, Class of 1916, shortly before his death.

Alpheus Thomas Mason *23 Fellowship.
Established in 1992 in memory of McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence Alpheus Mason by his family and friends. This fellowship is awarded annually to a graduate student in the Department of Politics engaged in the study of jurisprudence.

Frank J. Mather, Jr., Memorial Financial Aid Fund.
Aids graduate students in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

Josephine Dean Mathey Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1927 with a gift by Louis A. Mathey in memory of his wife, Josephine Dean Mathey.

Henry Everitt Mattison Fellowship in Public Affairs.
Established in 1957 by Graham D. Mattison, Class of 1926, in memory of his father, Henry Everitt Mattison, Class of 1897. This fellowship is awarded to selected students in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Francis Hinton Maule Biological Fellowship.
Founded in 1901 by Mr. and Mrs. Francis I. Maule as a memorial to their son, Francis Hinton Maule, who was a student in the University during the years 1895–98.

May Fellowship in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
Established in 1997 by Sir Robert May, Honorary Degree 1996, to support a graduate student in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.

Frasier W. McCann Fellowship.
Founded in 1960 by Frasier W. McCann, for award to graduate students in any field of study, preference being given to students in music.

LeRoy Wiley McCay Advanced Fellowships in Chemistry.
One in analytical chemistry and one in physical chemistry. Established in 1937 by the will of LeRoy Wiley McCay, Class of 1878, formerly professor of chemistry at Princeton.

McConnell Fellowships in International Affairs.
Established in 1964 by a grant from the Neil A. McConnell Foundation, Inc. The fellowship is awarded to students who demonstrate strong interest in and motivation for careers in their nations’ service and international affairs.

McCormick Fellowships in Art and Archaeology.
Established in 1966 by the gift of Gordon and Cyrus McCormick, the income may, on occasion, be used for traveling as well as residential fellowships in art and archaeology.

Gordon McCormick, 1917, Memorial Student Aid Fund.
Established in 1972, the income from this fund supports graduate fellowships for advanced degree candidates in the School of Architecture.

Robert R. McCormick Fellowship in American History.
Established in 1962 by the trustees of the Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust. It will be awarded to students of American Constitutional history, American political and institutional history, or to students of American literature and art, including the fine arts, decorative arts, and architecture. The recipient shall be a resident of the State of Illinois or, if in any year there is no qualified applicant from Illinois, the recipient shall be a resident of one of the other states in the area known as Chicagoland, i.e., Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, or Wisconsin.

Paul F. McGuire *40 Fund for Graduate Education in the Department of Economics.
Established by the bequest of Paul F. McGuire Graduate Class of 1940, this fund provides financial assistance to graduate students in the Department of Economics.

James H. McInerny Fellowship in the Life and Related Sciences.
Established in 1987 under the will of Elizabeth DeCamp McInerny, the income is used to support graduate student fellowships in the areas of molecular biology, conservation biology, and population research.

Walker McKinney ’50 Life Sciences Fellowship.  
Established in 2001 by the estate of Walker McKinney’ 50 this endowment provides fellowship support for students who conduct research in life sciences.

Charles McMillan Scholarship.  
Established in 1923 by Frank Calvin Roberts, Class of 1883, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Isaac C. Wyman-Mellon Fund.
Established in 2000, provides general fellowship support for Princeton Graduate Students and is unrestricted as to area of study.

Arthur Mendel University Fellowship in Music.
Established in 1999 in honor of the eminent Princeton University faculty member, Arthur Mendel, this graduate fellowship provides basic tuition support, as well as a stipend for research and living expenses for graduate students in the Department of Music.

Van Santvoord Merle-Smith Fellowship in Public Affairs.
Established in 1951 by the Class of 1911 in memory of Van Santvoord Merle-Smith of that class. Fellowships are awarded to selected students pursuing graduate work in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs with an intention to engage in public service.

William Chambers Meyers Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1952 by the bequest of James Cowden Meyers, Class of 1891, in memory of his brother, William Chambers Meyers, Class of 1901.

Michael Bequest.
Established in 1975 in memory of three brothers, Benjamin R. ’13, Herbert I. ’16, and Oscar Michael, Jr. ’24, this fund contributes its income to the Porter Ogden Jacobus award, the Graduate School’s highest honorific fellowship.

David V. Milligan ’62 Fellowship in Chemistry.
Established in 2000 by David V. Milligan ’62 in support of graduate students in the Department of Chemistry.

James McCormick Mitchell, Class of 1894, Scholarship.
Established in 1969 by a bequest from Lavinia A. Mitchell in memory of her husband, James McC. Mitchell, Class of 1894.

Samuel S. Mitchell Fellowship in English.
Established by James McC. Mitchell, Class of 1894, in memory of his father, the Reverend Samuel S. Mitchell.

George Modlin *32 Fund for Student Aid.
Established in 1983 by the son, the income from this endowment supports undergraduate and graduate students.

Moffet Fund.
This fund was established in 1992 by James Moffet ’29 in support of graduate study in the Department of Molecular Biology.

Alicia More Memorial Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1984 for support of graduate students in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Paul Elmer More Fund.
Established in 1972 by the bequest of Maurine Dallas Watkins, the income from this fund supports graduate students in the classical philosophy program, particularly students of Greek philosophy.

Arthur P. Morgan Graduate Fellowship in English.
This endowment was established in 1997 for the benefit of   graduate students in the Department of English.

Sherley W. Morgan, Class of 1913, Fellowship in the School of Architecture.
Established in 1979 by Ethel Palmer Morgan in memory of her husband.

Dr. Laurence C. Morse *80 Graduate Fellowship.

Established in 2007 by Dr. Laurence C. Morse *80 to provide financial aid to graduate students with a preference for students conducting research affiliated with Princeton's  Center for African American Studies.

A.M. Muhlenfels Fellowship Fund.
Provides general fellowship support to graduate students unrestricted as to field of study.

Mulford Fellowships.  
Established in 1998 by bequest of Vincent S. Mulford Jr., Class of 1933, to provide general fellowships for the Tang Center.

Charles Allen Munn Fellowship for Research in Pure Science.
Established as a memorial to Charles Allen Munn, Class of 1881, by his friends.

Orson Desaix Munn University Fellowship in Electrical Engineering.
This fellowship was established in 1908 as a memorial to Orson Desaix Munn by his son, Charles A. Munn, Class of 1881, and Mrs. Henry Norcross Munn. It is awarded to the applicant who has made the best record in undergraduate work in Princeton, or another accredited college, and who shows the highest qualifications in respect to those subjects that are directly preparatory to the course in electrical engineering.

Franklin Murphy, Jr., 1895, Fellowship Fund.
Established by the board of trustees in 1953 through the generosity of Harriet Long Murphy and named in honor of her husband, Franklin Murphy, Jr., Class of 1895. The income from this fund is used to award a number of fellowships each year to entering and continuing graduate students without restriction to field.

[back to top]

N

Elsie and Walter W. Naumburg Fund.
Founded in 1959 under the will of Walter W. Naumburg, this fund makes available annually a fellowship for graduate studies in the Department of Music.

Mark Nelson Fellowship.
Established in 1982 by Harry D. Nelson in honor of his son Mark, Graduate Class of 1982, for graduate fellowship support unrestricted as to field of study.

Charles Walter Nichols Scholarship.  
Established in 1964 by the estate of Charles Walter Nichols this endowment provides general fellowship support with a preference given to graduate students in the Departments of Chemical Engineering.

Nomura Securities Company, Limited Fellowship.
Established in 1988 in honor of Paul Volcker, Class of 1949, to fund graduate fellowships in the fields of economics and international finance in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

John Seth Norton Scholarship.
Founded in 1934 by the bequest of Mrs. Isabel D. Norton in memory of her husband.

[back to top]

O

S. Stanhope Orris Fund.
Established in 1905 by the bequest of S. Stanhope Orris, Class of 1862, Professor of Greek, 1878-1902, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Viola and Howard Osborn Scholarship.
Established in 1969 by a bequest from Howard Osborn in memory of his parents, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

[back to top]

P

John Harding Page Classical Fellowship.
Established in 1900 by Mrs. James Laughlin, Jr., as a memorial to her father, Mr. John Harding Page, for study in classics.

Lowell M. Palmer Fund in Architecture.
Founded in 1934 by Mrs. Sherley W. Morgan in memory of her father. The income of this fund provides each year a fellowship in architecture for a resident of the Graduate College, nominated by the School of Architecture, and also, at intervals, additional awards for advanced study in architecture either in Princeton or elsewhere.

William B. Parsons, Class of 1892, Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1963 by the bequest of Jean Parsons in memory of her husband, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Arthur A. Patchett Summer Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1990 by Dr. Arthur A. Patchett. Income from this fund provides summer support to a second-year chemistry graduate student who has demonstrated excellence in research and proficiency with respect to departmental academic requirements.

Ladislas Pathy Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1985, this fund provides financial support for undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Near Eastern Studies, with preference given to those students interested in Egypt.

David Paton Fellowship.
Established by the bequest of David Paton, Class of 1874. The purpose of the fellowship is to aid research “within the following limits, namely: the languages, literature, history, geography, and religions of Western Asia and Northeastern Africa down to and not beyond the date of the birth of Mohammet and more especially in the fields of Assyriology and Egyptology.”

Joseph Patterson Scholarship.
Founded by a bequest from T. H. Hoge Patterson, in memory of his father and grandfather.

John Linn Patton Scholarship.
Founded in 1903 by Mr. and Mrs. William A. Patton in memory of their son, a member of the Class of 1903.

Herbert O. Peet Fund.
Established in 1960 by Herbert O. Peet for the support of undergraduate and graduate awards, with preference being given to graduate fellowships. There is no restriction as to field of study.

Thomas Jefferson Perkins Graduate Fellowships in Environmental Studies.
Established in 1996 from the estate of Thomas Jefferson Perkins, Class of 1894, funds from this endowment support fellowships for the Princeton Environmental Institute.

Petrie Fellowship.
Established in 1989 for fellowships in conservation biology.

William Charles Peyton Advanced Fellowship in Astronomy.
Founded in 1949 by Bernard Peyton, Class of 1917, in memory of his father, William Charles Peyton. This fellowship may be awarded either to a predoctoral or postdoctoral scientist of outstanding promise in astronomy.   Any unexpected funds from this fellowship may also be used to provide one or more regular departmental fellowships in astronomy, which shall be named the William Charles Peyton Fellowships.

Howard Crathorne Phillips Fellowship in Mechanical Engineering.
Founded in 1946 in memory of Howard Crathorne Phillips, Class of 1890. Awarded annually on recommendation of the faculty of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.

Walter Phillips, Jr. Fellowship Fund.
Established by the bequest of Walter Phillips, Jr. in 1993, this endowment provides unrestricted fellowship support to graduate students.

Gottfried and Sophie Piel Scholarship.
Established in 1979 through a trust fund created by Robert Piel, Class of 1913, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Newton Lacy Pierce Junior Fellowship in Astronomy.
Founded in 1951 in memory of Professor Pierce, associate professor of astronomy at Princeton University, 1946–50.

Albert Plaut Fellowship in Chemistry.
Established by Edward Plaut, Class of 1912, in memory of his father.

John Edwin Pomfret Fellowship.
Established in 1985 by Mrs. John Edwin Pomfret and family in honor of John Edwin Pomfret, a member of the Princeton history faculty from 1925-1937, to provide fellowship assistance preferably to students in history.

James G. Potter ’28 Student Aid Fund.  
Established in 2000 by the estate of James G. Potter ’28, the income from this fund provides fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Physics.

Presidential Scholarship.
Established in 1946 from various gifts to be used for scholarship awards.

Preyer Fellowship in English Literature.
Established in 1990 by Robert O. Preyer *45. The income from this fund is used to provide fellowships for graduate students enrolled in the Department of English.

Prickett Fellowships in Public and International Affairs.
Established by Karl E. Prickett in 1972 to support graduate students in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs who have had experience in public affairs.

Jane Eliza Procter and William Cooper Procter Fellowships.
Up to four fellowships per year, consisting of full tuition and stipend, are available to young British and French scholars—one upon recommendation by the University of Cambridge, England; one upon recommendation by the University of Oxford, England; and two upon recommendation made by the École Normale Supérieure and the École Normale Supérieure de Jeunes Filles, Paris, France. The fellowship funds can be used to support regular degree candidates for a three-year period or for nondegree visiting predoctoral scholars for one year’s duration. The availability of the number of new fellowships granted in any one year, therefore, is dependent upon the mix of degree and nondegree awardees.   The fellowships are not restricted to study in any specific department.

John B. Putnam, Jr. Memorial Fellowship.
Established in memory of John B. Putnam, Jr., Class of 1944, who lost his life in the service of his country, July 19, 1944. This fellowship was founded in its present form in 1954 on the basis of an earlier gift from Mr. and Mrs. John B. Putnam and Mrs. Horace Andrews. It is awarded annually upon recommendation of the joint committee on mathematical physics to a student of mathematics or physics.

Margaretta Stockton Pyne Scholarship.
Founded in 1937 through gifts of family and friends.

[back to top]

Q

James W. Queen Fellowship.
Founded as a scholarship in 1908 with a bequest of Mrs. Abbey S. Queen. By action of the faculty it has been assigned to the Department of Physics.

[back to top]

R

Paul Ramsey Fellowship in Religion and Philosophy.
Established in 1994, this endowment supports one graduate student in each department, including summer support.

George B. Rathmann *51 Fellowship in Chemistry.  
Established in 2003 by George B. Rathmann, income from this fund support supports students in the Department of Chemistry.

William H. Rea ’34 Graduate Student Aid Fund.
Income provides awards for graduate students enrolled in the Department of Near Eastern Studies for summer research.

Robert Hughes Reeves, Class of 1915, Scholarship.
Established in 1963 by the bequest of Robert Hughes Reeves.

James A. Reid Fellowship in Chemistry.
James A. Reid established a charitable unitrust on behalf of his wife, Evelyn, in 1976, which converted to Princeton University upon her death in 1994. It benefits graduate students in the Department of Chemistry.

Department of Religion Fellowship.
This endowment was established in 1958 by Mrs. Greer Marechal in order to provide financial support to students in the Department of Religion.

George W. Riesz ’50 *52 SEAS Fellowship Fund.  
Established in 1999 by George W. Riesz ’50 the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

John Roach Scholarship.
Established in 1944 by the bequest of Belden Roach in memory of his grandfather, John Roach.

Edmund Y. Robbins Fellowships in Classics.
Established in 1949 in memory of Edmund Y. Robbins, Class of 1879, these fellowships are awarded by vote of the Department of Classics. Two fellowships are to be allotted to two members of the graduating class of Princeton University, if there are qualified candidates. The other fellowships are available, as may be appropriate, for entering or continuing students.

Dr. Nat C. Robertson *42 Graduate Fellowship in Chemistry.
Established in 1998 by Dr. Nat C. Robertson *42 to support graduate students in the Department of Chemistry.

John T. Robinson Scholarship.
Founded in 1964 by the bequest of Charles S. Robinson.

J. D. Rockefeller, Jr., Fund.
Established in 1959 for the graduate program of the Department of Religion.

Laurence C. Rockefeller Graduate Prize Fellowship.
Endowment supports graduate students who are working in the area of human values.

Philip A. Rollins Fellowships in History.
Established from the bequest of Philip A. Rollins in 1958. A number of fellowships are awarded yearly in the Department of History.

Adolph Rosengarten, Jr. ’27 Graduate Fellowship in History.  
Established in 1999 by the estate of Adolph Rosengarten ‘27 the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of History.

Walter N. Rothschild Fellowship in Economics.
Established in 1960 by Walter Rothschild, Class of 1913. It is awarded to an outstanding graduate student enrolled in the Department of Economics.

Rubottom Fellowship Fund.
Established to provide graduate fellowships in architecture.

H. Robert Samstag Fund.
Established in 1994 by the bequest of Renee B. Samstag, widow of H. Robert Samstag, Class of 1919.

[back to top]

S

H. Robert Samstag Fund.
Established in 1994 by the bequest of Renee B. Samstag, widow of H. Robert Samstag, Class of 1919.

Sanxay Fellowship in Practical Ethics.
Endowed in 1927 by bequest of Theodore F. Sanxay. The special purpose of the fellowship is “to stimulate a profound study of ethical principles in their application to practical business, politics, and government.” It is open to applicants in the fields of politics or economics.

Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leadership Fellowship Fund.
Endowed in 1989 by the Sasakawa Peace Foundation, this fund provides fellowships to the Woodrow Wilson School, specifically to students with high potential for future leadership in international affairs in public life as well as in private endeavor. Students whose careers will lead them into work concerning the development of non-industrialized countries, international cooperation and peace, and international political economy are strong candidates for support.

Sayre Fellowships in Applied Chemistry and Applied Electricity.
Founded by the bequest of Dr. John Stanford Sayre, Class of 1878. Fellowships will be awarded to members of the senior class of Princeton University who plan to enter graduate study in chemistry and electrical engineering. Applicants must have been enrolled in Princeton University in full standing for at least two academic years prior to graduation.

Theodore B. Schneideman Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1955 by the bequest of Mrs. Florence Mays Schneideman in memory of her husband, Dr. Theodore B. Schneideman, Class of 1881.

Morris Schreiber Mathematics Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1990 by Hilda Schreiber in memory of her brother, Morris Schreiber. Income from this fund is used for fellowships to support graduate students in the Department of Mathematics.

Nathan S. Schroeder, Class of 1898, Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1972 to support graduate students in history, politics, economics, or public affairs.

Helen and Anthony Schug Endowment.  
Established in 2002 by the estate of Helen and Anthony Schug, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students who excel in the fields of history and literature.

Albert B. Schultz, Class of 1903, Fund for Spanish Studies.
Founded in 1954, the income from this fund is used for the support of fellowships in the general field of Spanish literature.

Martin Schwarzchild Graduate Fellowship. Established in 1998 in memory of Martin Schwartzchild.
Income from this fund is used in support of education, training and research in astronomy and astrophysics, specifically as conducted by graduate students enrolled in the astronomy section to the Department of Astrophysical Sciences. Fellows are selected on the basis of promise of future accomplishment in astronomy or astrophysics, and the income may be used to cover any expenses connected with this purpose, included tuition and stipend.

Charles Scribner University Fellowship in English Literature.
Founded in memory of Charles Scribner, Class of 1840, by his son, Charles Scribner, Class of 1875.

SEAS Graduate Alumni Fellowship.  
Established in 1996 with a gift from SEAS Alumni, income from this fund supports students in the School of Engineering.

SEAS Merit Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1993, supports students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Stanley J. Seeger Fellowship.
Established in 1980 by the Stanley J. Seeger fund for Hellenic studies, this fund provides financial support to Greek national students enrolled in a humanities department.

William C. Seitz Fellowship in the History of Modern Art.  
Established in 1977 income from this endowment provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Art and Archeology.

John H. Selby ’41 Graduate Fellowship for the School of Engineering and Applied Science.  
Established in 2000 by John H. Selby ’41 from Charitable Remainder Unitrust, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

John and Julia Sensenbrenner Fellowship.
Income from this fellowship is used to provide financial assistance for graduate students in the Department of East Asian Studies at Princeton University who are preparing for a career in academia through teaching and research while pursuing their course of graduate studies.

Roger Sessions University Fellowship in Music.
Established in 1999 in honor of the eminent Princeton University faculty member, Roger Sessions, this graduate fellowship provides basic tuition support, as well as a stipend for research and living expenses, for graduate students in the field of music.

Kamal A. Shair Fellowship.
Established in 1984 by Dr. Kamal A. Shair, this fellowship is intended to support graduate study preferably on Jordan and secondarily on inter-Arab relations.

Samuel J. Shanbacker Fellowship Fund.
Income from this fund provides general fellowship support to graduate students at Princeton in any field of study.

Jerome E. Sharp Scholarship.
Founded in 1950 by the bequest of Jerome E. Sharp, Class of 1870.

Silver Scholarship in Economics.  
Established in 1986 by the estate of Beatrice S. Greenman, income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Economics.

Richard S. Simmons ’51 Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 1992 by Margaret P. and William R. Simmons and family in support of graduate students in the Department of Economics.

Louis A. Simpson *60 P90 Graduate Fellowship Fund I.
Established in 2009 by Louis A. Simpson *60 P90 to provide assistance to graduate students in economics.

Robert Simpson, Class of 1947, Traveling Fellowship in Art and Archaeology.
Established in 1979 by Eileen Simpson in memory of her husband. It will be awarded annually, at the determination of the Department of Art and Archaeology, preferably to a graduate student for study in the history of European architecture.

Charles Chapman Smith ’02 Scholarship.
Established in 1989 by the bequest of Dr. Mary Frances Hayward Smith in memory of her husband.

Francis G. Smith, Jr., Memorial Fellowships.
Established in 1967 for journalists at mid-career.

J. Henley Smith Scholarship.  
Founded in 1922 by the bequest of J. Henley Smith, Class of 1863.

Jonathan Bayard Harrison Smith Scholarship.
In memory of Jonathan Bayard Harrison Smith, Class of 1829

Jonathan Bayard Smith Scholarship.
In memory of the Honorable Jonathan Bayard Smith, Class of 1760, a Trustee of the College, 1779–1807.

Samuel Harrison Smith Scholarship.
In memory of Samuel Harrison Smith, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, and Master of Arts, Princeton 1797.

Tsang Yee and Grace Chan So P*71 Fellowship for Chinese History and Culture.
Established in 2008 by Dr. Ronald M.C. So *71 in honor of his parents.

Margaret and Herman Sokol University Fellowship in Chemistry.
Established in 1993, this annual award is given to a post-general Ph.D. candidate in chemistry who is interested in a career in research or teaching.

Norman J. Sollenberger Fund.
Established by Sir Gordon Y. S. Wu ’58 in honor of his mentor, Professor Norman J. Sollenberger, to support graduate summer fellowships for students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Herman M. “Red” Somers Memorial Fellowship.
Established in 1993 to provide fellowship support for graduate students at the Woodrow Wilson School working toward their Master in Public Affairs with preference given to students studying environmental protection, population policy or aging, and long-term health care policy.

South East Club University Fellowship in Social Science.
Founded by alumni of the Classes of 1876–79, former residents of the South Entry of East College.

Roger F. Stanton *31 Fellowship Fund.
Provides general fellowship support.

C.V. Starr Fellowship Fund.
Established in 2002 by The Starr Foundation, this fellowship fund provides support to deserving graduate students in any field of study.

George H. Stephenson Foundation Fellowships in Molecular Biology.  
Funded since 1994 by annual distributions from the George H. Stephenson Foundation.  

John DeWitt Sterry Biological Fellowship Fund.
Founded in 1934 by the will of John DeWitt Sterry, Class of 1889. The income from this fund is used for the support of fellowships in biology.

Henry Clay Stewart Scholarship.
Founded in 1940 by a bequest under the will of Mirah R. Stewart, in memory of her husband, Henry Clay Stewart, Class of 1884, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

M.R. Stewart Fellowship Fund.
Income from this fund supports fellowships for deserving students in any field of study at Princeton University.

Richard Stillwell '21 *24 and Agnes Newhall Stillwell Fellowship Fund.

Established in 2007 by Richard N. Stillwell '57 in honor of his parents to provide financial aid to graduate students.

Stinnecke Fund.
Established in 1870, a portion of this fund may from year to year be used for the support of graduate students in classics.

Alva M. and Raymond W. Stranger Memorial Fund.
Established in 1977 for graduate fellowships, this fund provides support in areas unrestricted as to field of study.

Ludwig Stross Scholarship.
Established in 1943 by the bequest of Mrs. Iness Stross in memory of her husband, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Arthur A. Styvers Scholarship.
Founded in 1943 by the bequest of Mrs. Julia Styvers in memory of her husband, Controller of the University, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Professor Martin Summerfield Memorial Graduate Fellowship .
Established in 2005 by Dr. Bernard Paiewonsky *56 , *61 to provide fellowship support to graduate students in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.

[back to top]

T

Frank E. Taplin, Class of 1937, Fellowship in Music.
This fund was established in 1978 to provide support to graduate students in the Department of Music.

Eli Lilly–Edward C. Taylor Fellowship in Chemistry.
Established in 1997 by Eli Lilly and Company in honor of Dr. Edward C. Taylor. Income from this fund is to be used to provide fellowships for a post-generals graduate student or students in the Department of Chemistry at Princeton University with a preference for those studying in the field of synthetic organic chemistry.

Philip G. Terrie ’39 Fellowship.
Established in 1993 by the bequest of Philip G. Terrie ’39.

Thaw Fellowship in Astronomy.
Founded in 1896 by Mrs. William Thaw.

Third Century Scholarship.
Established in 1946 by the Board of Trustees in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of Princeton University’s founding.

Nicholas Thomas, Jr. ’33 Financial Aid Fund.
Income from this fund supports fellowship for deserving students in any field of study at Princeton University.

Stephen G. Thomas, Class of 1888, Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1950 by Mrs. Stephen G. Thomas in memory of her husband, Stephen G. Thomas, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

James Ruggles Thorpe, Class of 1925, Scholarship.
Established in 1979 by the bequest of James R. Thorpe, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

William Ferree Timlow Fund for Financial Aid Students.
This endowment provides financial support to graduate and undergraduate students of an unrestricted nature.

George L. Todd, Class of 1927, Memorial Fund.
Founded in 1975 from the estate of George L. Todd, who received his graduate degree from Princeton in 1927, this fund provides general fellowship support in the Graduate School.

J. Walker Tomb Fund.
Established to provide graduate fellowships in philosophy.

[back to top]

U

Union Pacific Foundation Fellowship for the Transportation Program in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
Established in 1982.

Francis Robbins Upton Fellowships in Engineering.
This fund provides full tuition and stipend support to selected incoming graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science. Students are selected by a committee of faculty and approved by the Deans of the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Graduate School at the time of admission. This is a highly prestigious award that also provides supplemental funds through the student’s fourth year of study.

[back to top]

V

Van Arsdale Scholarship.
Established in 1875 by a bequest from Robert Van Arsdale, Class of 1826, in honor of three generations of the Van Arsdale family who attended Princeton.

Arthur F. Van Dewater, Class of 1910, Scholarship.
Established in 1966 by the will of Arthur F. Van Dewater, Class of 1910, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Harriet B. and Theodore Romeyn Voorhees Scholarship.
Established in 1977 by the bequest of Mrs. Harriet B. Voorhees in memory of her husband, Theodore Romeyn Voorhees, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

[back to top]

W

James Theodore Walker Fellowship in Psychology.
Founded in 1929 upon a bequest of James Theodore Walker, Class of 1927.

Mary Dod Walker Scholarship.
Established in 1926 under the will of Alice Duncan Walker in memory of her mother, Mary Dod Walker, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Albert C. Wall Fellowship in Public Affairs.
Established in 1947 by Hendon Chubb, in memory of Albert C. Wall, Class of 1886. The income is used to support a fellowship in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Wallace Memorial Fellowship in Engineering.
Endowed in 1930 by the Estate of Bonnie Wallace LeClear in support of two fellowships in engineering.

Wallace Scholarship.
Two scholarships founded in 1898 by Mrs. R. H. Allen and Miss Sarah Wallace in memory of their father, William C. Wallace, Class of 1823.

Roy Dickinson Welch Fellowship in Music.
Established in 1952 by the Friends of Music at Princeton in memory of Professor Roy Dickinson Welch (1885–1951) founder and first chairman of Princeton’s Department of Music.

Helen Lee Wessel Fellowships in Public Affairs.
Established in 1951 by the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation, Inc. Awarded annually to students specializing in inter-American affairs.

John Howell Westcott Fellowship in Classics.
Established in 1927 by David Magie, Class of 1897, a former pupil of Professor John Howell Westcott, Class of 1877, in order to perpetuate in Princeton University the memory of Professor Westcott’s influence as a teacher and of his ideals as a scholar. The holder is subject to no restrictions of residence, or of the place in which he or she is to carry on studies, provided this place receives the approval of the Department of Classics.

Charles W. Whitehead Scholarship.
Founded in 1919 by Miss Mary N. Whitehead and C. H. Whitehead, Class of 1896, from the estate of their father, C. W. Whitehead.

John C. and Blanche F. Whitwell Fellowship in Chemical Engineering.
John Whitwell earned his bachelor’s degree from Princeton and became the first graduate student in the Department of Chemical Engineering, where he later served as professor for over 40 years. The endowment that bears his name supports fellowships in the Department of Chemical Engineering.

Charles Richard and Bertha Williams Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1928 by the bequest of Charles R. Williams, Class of 1875, Class of 1888, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Van Zandt Williams, Sr., *41 Fellowship.
Established in 1983 in honor of Van Zandt Williams, Sr., *41, by family and friends for graduate study in physics.

Woodrow Wilson School Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1956, by an anonymous donor, this fund provides income sufficient to support one or two fellowship awards each year in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Lawrence L. Witherill, Class of 1921, Scholarship.
Established in 1986 by Mrs. Lawrence L. Witherill, in memory of her husband.

Albert S. Wright Fellowship Fund.
Founded upon the bequest of Mr. Albert S. Wright ’00 to fund a scholarship to a student in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Gordon Y.S. Wu Fellowships in Engineering.
The extremely generous gift of alumnus Gordon Y.S. Wu provides full tuition and stipend support to selected incoming graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science. Students are selected by a committee of faculty and approved by the Deans of the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Graduate School at the time of admission. This is a highly selective and prestigious award that also provides supplemental funds through the student’s fourth year of study.

[back to top]

Y

Yale University Scholarship at Princeton.
Founded in 1931 by the gift of Charles C. Paulding, Yale Class of 1889.

Fatma Yoldas Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 1994 by Ahmet Ertegun for fellowship support in the area of Turkish Studies, this fund is grounded in the Near Eastern Studies Department and is administered by the Director of the Ertegun Foundation for Turkish Studies.

Henry N. Young III Fund in Architecture.
Established in 1949 by the family of Henry N. Young III, a former graduate student who lost his life in World War II, to provide a tuition scholarship for a graduate student in the School of Architecture. Accumulated income may be used to provide a fellowship in the school.

[back to top]