The University has begun construction on the new home of the Princeton Neuroscience Institute and the Department of Psychology. Funding for the new facility, which features state-of-the-art labs and classrooms, has come from a group of dedicated alumni.
Leonid Kruglyak ’87, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, has been named the first William R. Harman ’63 and Mary-Love Harman Professor of Genomics.
With strong ties to Princeton for generations, the Forbes family has made many generous gifts to the University, from works of art to professorships. Distinguished faculty in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs hold two professorships endowed by family members and the Forbes Foundation.
Many planned gifts established years ago for purposes close to their donors’ hearts are now supporting some of the six priorities of the University’s comprehensive fundraising campaign, Aspire: A Plan for Princeton.
The James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professorships were established in memory of James S. McDonnell ’21 H60 by gifts from the James S. McDonnell Foundation, of which his sons, James S. McDonnell III ’58 and John F. McDonnell ’60 *62, are board members.
When Charles H. Smyth came to Princeton to teach geology in 1905, he brought his two sons with him: Charlie and Harry. Both boys grew up to attend Princeton and follow in their father’s footsteps as Princeton faculty members and both are now commemorated with endowed chairs: the Charles Phelps Smyth ’16 *17 Professorship in Chemistry and the Henry De Wolf Smyth Professorship.
Boosted by major gifts from two great friends of Princeton, funds realized by the University during the Aspire campaign from trusts and estates passed the $100 million mark the summer of 2009.
A $25 million gift from former University Trustee Eric Schmidt ’76 and his wife, Wendy, has created an innovative fund that will power cutting-edge research and technology in the natural sciences and engineering.
The 2008-09 Annual Giving campaign raised $44,597,633—the third highest total in Princeton's history—with 57.7 percent of undergraduate alumni participating.