To celebrate his father’s life and work, Christopher Kuenne ’85 has established the Robert E. Kuenne Professorship in Economics and Humanistic Studies.
On Friday, May 3, 2013, the University celebrated the legacy of generosity that sustains over 240 endowed professorships at Princeton and thanked the alumni, parents, and friends whose gifts have supported the creation of endowed chairs.
Gifts made possible by the trusts and estates of friends and alumni provided $104 million during the Anniversary Campaign for Princeton and touched every area of campus life.
With strong ties to Princeton for generations, the Forbes family has made many generous gifts to the University, from works of art to professorships. Distinguished faculty in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs hold two professorships endowed by family members and the Forbes Foundation.
Leonid Kruglyak ’87, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, has been named the first William R. Harman ’63 and Mary-Love Harman Professor of Genomics.
The James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professorships were established in memory of James S. McDonnell ’21 H60 by gifts from the James S. McDonnell Foundation, of which his sons, James S. McDonnell III ’58 and John F. McDonnell ’60 *62, are board members.
When Charles H. Smyth came to Princeton to teach geology in 1905, he brought his two sons with him: Charlie and Harry. Both boys grew up to attend Princeton and follow in their father’s footsteps as Princeton faculty members and both are now commemorated with endowed chairs: the Charles Phelps Smyth ’16 *17 Professorship in Chemistry and the Henry De Wolf Smyth Professorship.
Among many Princetonians serving in the current administration in Washington, D.C., are three professors who hold endowed chairs and have been granted leave for government service: Alan B. Krueger, Cecilia E. Rouse, and Anne-Marie Slaughter ’80.
The Aspire campaign has provided Princeton with a number of new endowed chairs, which will help the University continue to maintain a world-class faculty in a range of disciplines.