“I joined the 1746 Society because I love Princeton, and I feel that a lot of what has happened to me since graduation is because of the great education I got there and the great Princetonians that have supported me.”
-- Mellody Hobson ’91
The 1746 Society is Princeton’s program for honoring and thanking alumni and friends of Princeton who have arranged a bequest or planned gift to the University. Anyone who notifies Princeton that the University is named as the beneficiary of a gift through his or her estate, or through a planned gift during his or her lifetime, is automatically enrolled as a member of the Society.
Founded in 1995, on the eve of Princeton’s 250th Anniversary, the 1746 Society has over 2,400 living members, including those who choose to remain anonymous. For a list of new members who joined in 2014, please click here. For a list of all members, please click here.
The 1746 Society gratefully acknowledges benefactors whose estate gifts to the University show that the future of Princeton was close to their hearts. For a list of members of the 1746 Society who passed away in 2014, as well as those not previously enrolled in the society from whom a bequest was received, please click here.
Examples of planned gifts and bequests include:
- A gift of any amount to Princeton through a will provision.
- Gift through a revocable “living” trust.
- 401(k), IRA, SEP, or similar retirement plan beneficiary designation.
- Charitable remainder trust
- Charitable gift annuity
- Pooled income fund
- Charitable lead trust
- Life insurance policy beneficiary designation
- Bank account, Totten trust, or similar arrangement
Members of the 1746 Society receive certain benefits, which currently include:
- Recognition in University publications, including the Princeton Alumni Weekly and Gifts to Princeton.
- Invitation to an annual luncheon (for members who have made life-income gifts).
- Professional, personalized gift planning services.
- Reports on the investment performance of gifts to Princeton and highlights of the gift planning program.
- A handsome 1746 Society pin -- a badge of distinction.
Please call the Office of Gift Planning to discuss how you can become a member of the 1746 Society. If you have already named Princeton as a beneficiary of a bequest or planned gift, please let us know through our online form so that we can welcome you as a member.
Call us at 609-258-6318 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or if you prefer to reach out to your Gift Planning Class Chair, please click here for the most recent roster.