University and Endowed Fellowships (A-L)

Browse alphabetically:
A
B C D E F G H I J K L 
M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A

250th Anniversary Science Fellowships.
Established as part of the 250th Anniversary capital Campaign in 1997, this fund provides first year fellowships to highly ranked science students. A faculty committee selects the awardees on the basis of departmental recommendations. These are very competitive awards that relieve science students from teaching and/or research obligations in their first year of study.

Stan Adler, Class of 1915, Fellowship Fund.
Founded in 1977, this fund provides fellow-ship support for graduate students in the Department of English who show exceptional talent as writers of poetry, fiction, or (preferably) drama, or who plan to concentrate on contemporary literary criticism.

A. Gifford Agnew, II ’33 Financial Aid Fund.
Established in 1997, this fund provides financial aid unrestricted as to field of study.

C.B. Allendoerfer Fellowship Fund.
Established by the estate of Dr. Carl B. Allendoerfer, Class of 1937, for unrestricted graduate support.

Professor Hubert N. Alyea Fellowship Fund.
This fellowship was established in memory of Princeton Alumnus and long time Chemistry Professor, Hubert N. Alyea. The funds are to support graduate students in the field of chemistry.

Gerhard R. Andlinger ’52 Graduate Fellowship in Finance.
Established in 2000 by Gerhard R. Andlinger ’52 specifically for students doing doctoral work in finance, with a preference for international students.

John E. Andrus Fund.
Established in 1966 by the Surdna Foundation, this fund provides fellowships unrestricted as to field of study.

John E. Annan, Class of 1855, Memorial Fund.
Established in part to support two graduate fellowships in the Department of English in memory of Professor George McLean Harper, Class of 1884, and Dean Robert Kilburn Root.

Anonymous Fellowship Fund.
Established by an anonymous graduate alumnus to provide support for graduate students.

Arkema Inc. Fellowship in Chemistry.  
Funded annually since 1997 by Arkema Inc. and its predecessor companies to support a graduate student interested in industrial research.

Edward C. Armstrong Fund.
Established in 1987 from a bequest of Professor Alfred L. Foulet, Class of 1927, for fellowships in Romance languages and literatures, preferably for students studying medieval languages and or literatures.

Bradford H. Arnold*42 and Mary Ellen Arnold Fellowship.  
Established in 1999 by Bradford H. Arnold *42 and Mary Ellen Arnold to provide financial assistance for graduate students studying in the mathematics department.

[back to top]

B

Ida Boffey Bacon Scholarship.
Established in 1968 by the bequest of Mrs. Ida Boffey Bacon, the widow of Edgar B. Bacon.

Bamford Fund.
Founded upon a bequest of William Brokaw Bamford in 1948 in support of the Department of Philosophy.

William R. Barricklo Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Provides general fellowship support.

Barrington Foundation Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1993 for the support of graduate students in the Department of Astrophysical Sciences.

Noel Bassett Scholarship.
Founded in 1915 with a gift by friends of the late Noel Bassett, Class of 1911, and increased in 1921 by his father, William Robert Bassett.

Helen M. and John W. Beatty, Jr. Fellowships.
Established in 1964 under the wills of Helen M. and John Beatty, Jr., the bequests provide support for advanced students in the School of Architecture and music.

John W. Beatty, Class of 1914, Memorial Fund.
Established in 1964, this fund provides fellowship support in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

Fanny E. and Joseph D. Bedle, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1975 by the bequest of Josephine Bedle in memory of her parents. For undergraduate and graduate aid.

Howard T. Behrman Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1989 for fellowships in the humanities.

Bendheim Center for Finance Fellowship.  
Established in 2000 with a gift from the Leon Lowenstein Foundation for the support of PhD students in the Department of Economics and masters students in finance.

Herbert Montgomery Bergen Fellowships in Modern Languages.
Founded in 1920 by the will of Mr. George Spafford Bergen in memory of his son, Herbert Montgomery Bergen, Class of 1895. The income from this fund is used for the support of fellowships awarded in the Departments of Germanic Languages, French and Italian, and Spanish and Portuguese.

Marver H. and Sheva R. Bernstein Fund.
Founded in 1992 upon a bequest of Sheva R. Bernstein w*48 in support of American Government studies in the Department of Politics.

George Whitefield Betts, Jr. Scholarship.
Founded in 1959 by the bequest of George Whitefield Betts, Jr., Class of 1892.

Hamid Biglari *87 Graduate Fellowship Fund.  
Established in 2005 by Hamid Biglari *87, the income from this fund supports graduate fellowships for students in the Bendheim Center for Finance.

Wallis C. and Clinton W. Bird Fund.
Established in 1969 by Mrs. Marjorie Bird in memory of her husband, Wallis C. Bird, Class of 1921, and his father, Clinton W. Bird, Class of 1885. The fund supports fellowships in music, the arts, or politics.

Charles C. Black Scholarship.
Founded in 1959 under the will of Helen Newbold Black in memory of her husband.

David H. Blair, Class of 1940, Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1975, this endowed fund provides fellowship support in the Department of Music.

W. Michael Blumenthal Family Fund Fellowship.
Established by Dr. and Mrs. W. Michael Blumenthal, Ann Blumenthal, Gillian Blumenthal Borgeson, and Jane Blumenthal, this unrestricted fund supports graduate and undergraduate students.

Doctor Boldt Scholarship.
Established in 1949 under the will of Hermann J. Boldt in memory of his son, Hermann J. Boldt, Jr., Class of 1914. For undergraduate and graduate aid.

John Halsey Bonsall Fellowship in Music.
Established in 1950 by Mrs. John H. Bonsall and Mrs. John V. R. Strong in memory of Major John Halsey Bonsall, Class of 1941, who lost his life in World War II. This fellowship is awarded each year to an outstanding graduate student in the Department of Music.

Boudinot Historical Fellowship.
Founded in part upon a bequest by Dr. Elias Boudinot of New Jersey.

Boudinot Modern Language Fellowship.
Founded in part upon a bequest by Dr. Elias Boudinot of New Jersey.

William G. Bowen Merit Fellowships.
Established in 1987 as one merit Fellowship in each academic division of the University in honor of William G. Bowen of the Graduate Class of 1958 through gifts by alumni and friends on the occasion of his retirement as Princeton’s 17th president.

Francis Boyer Fellowship in the Life Sciences.
Established in 1979 in memory of Francis Boyer by his son, Dr. Markley H. Boyer, Class of 1955.

BP p.l.c. Fellowships.
Funded annually since 2001 by BP p.l.c. as part of its extensive support for the Carbon Mitigation Initiative at the Princeton Environmental Institute.

The Eugene Bradford *60 Graduate Fellowship.

Established by Eugene Bradford, Ph.D. *60 to provide support for graduate students who earned his/her undergraduate degree from the City College of New York or at the discretion of the Dean of the Graduate School.

Bradley Fellowships in Political Science and International Affairs.  
Funded annually by The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation for graduate and post-graduate fellowships in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and the Department of Politics. 

Ora J. Bretall Fellowships in Religion.
Established under the will of Ora J. Bretall for fellowships in the fields of educational theory or philosophy of religion.

Robert Bridges Scholarship.
Founded in 1927 by the legacy of George Ledlie, Harvard Class of 1884, in the name of his friend, Robert Bridges, Class of 1879.

Norman G. Brink and Elizabeth Brink Fellowship for Chemistry.
Established in 1997 to support students in the Department of Chemistry who could not, without such assistance, enjoy the benefits of a Princeton education.

Bristol-Myers Squibb Fellowship Fund in Chemistry.
Established in 2001 by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, this fellowship supports an advanced graduate student with a research focus in synthetic organic chemistry.

Charles Ames Brooks, Class of 1905, Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1953 by Alfred T. Carton, Class of 1905, in memory of his classmate, Charles Ames Brooks. This fellowship is awarded without restriction as to field of study.

Winfred Mudge and Marcella L. Brooks Fellowship Fund.
This fund was established in 1987 to assist worthy and needy engineering graduate students.

Chalmers K. and Gladys D. Bryce Memorial Scholarship.  
The income from this fund supports graduate fellowships for students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Josiah and Aubrey Reeves Bunting Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1966 by the will of Madeleine M. Starr, widow of Aubrey Reeves Bunting, Class of 1909, in memory of Josiah and Aubrey Reeves Bunting. For undergraduate and graduate aid.

William Hodge Burchfield Fellowship.
Endowed in 1995 by the estate of William Burchfield, this fellowship fund provides support to graduate students in the sciences or engineering, initially those working in conjunction with the Princeton Materials Institute.

Butler Family Scholarship.
This Fellowship was established by the estate of LaFayette Butler and is used to support graduate students regardless of field of study.

Howard Crosby Butler Traveling Fellowship in Architecture.
Established in 1961 under the will of Professor H. C. Butler, Class of 1892, member of the faculty 1896–1922, to provide support and maintenance of two traveling fellowships in the School of Architecture.

[back to top]

C

Lambert Cadwalader, Class of 1905, Scholarship.  
Established in 1965 by Emma W. Cadwalader and Emma Lambert Cadwalader Bunker, this fund supports graduate fellowships for students in the Department of History with a preference given to students who are descendants of class of 1905.

Mahlon Campfield Scholarship.
Founded in 1917 with a gift received from the estate of Mary C. Campfield.

Canadian Princeton Alumni Fund.
Income from this fund is used for fellowship support in the Department of Geosciences.

Ronald E. Cape Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1986 by Ronald E. Cape, Class of 1953, for fellowships in molecular biology.

Barbara Schulz Card Fellowship Fund.
Established in 2007 by Dr. Robert L. Card '56 in honor of his late wife to provide financial aid to graduate students conducting cancer related research in the Department of Molecular Biology.

Albert Pruden Carman Fellowship.
Established in 1973 by the bequest of Maude S. Carman to provide a fellowship unrestricted as to field of study.

William S. Carpenter Fund in Politics.
Established in 1981 by the Jones Foundation.

Mildred W. and Alfred T. Carton, Class of 1905, Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1961 by Alfred T. Carton, Class of 1905, for fellowships in the liberal arts and humanities.

Edwards T. Casebolt Scholarship.
Established in 1981 by the bequest of Edwards T. Casebolt, Class of 1901.

Robert E. Christie, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1936 in memory of Robert E. Christie, Jr., Class of 1915, by his classmates, family, and friends.

James A. Church Scholarship.
Founded in 1932 by the bequest of James A. Church, Class of 1894. For undergraduate and graduate aid.

Class of 1860 Experimental Science Fellowship.
Founded in 1870 by the Class of 1860. By action of the board of trustees taken in 1904, this award was designated a fellowship for study in the Graduate School under the regulations governing the administration of fellowships.

Class of 1873 Fellowship in English Literature.
For the promotion of the study of English literature.

Class of 1877 University Fellowship in Biology.
Endowed by the Class of 1877, for support of a graduate fellowship in the Department of Biology.

Class of 1883 Fellowships.
In June 1910, the Class of 1883 established a fund to provide two fellowships to be awarded by preference in the Departments of Politics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Geosciences.

Class of 1894 Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1919 by the members of the Class of 1894 at the twenty-fifth anniversary of their graduation. This includes the James Long Whitaker Memorial Scholarship.

Class of 1904 Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1925 by the Class of 1904.

Class of 1915 Memorial and Frank L. Miller, Jr. Scholarship.
Established in 1965 by the Class of 1915 in order to provide a student aid fund. This fellowship is awarded to deserving students unrestricted as to department or area of study.

Class of 1926 Graduate Fellowship Fund.
Endowed by the Class of 1926, this fund supports graduate fellowships that are unrestricted as to department and area of study.

Ocatvia Cooper Clement and Anthony Calhoun Clement *35 Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 2004 by the bequest of Octavia Cooper Clement to support graduate students in the biological sciences.

Samuel H. and Dorothy Breed Clinedinst Foundation Fellowships.
Established in 1961 under the will of Samuel H. Clinedinst for undergraduate and graduate scholarships and fellowships unrestricted as to field of study.

The Benjamin Coates, Class of 1939, and Prince Fumitake Konoe, Class of 1938, Memorial Fund. 
Established in 2009 by the Rodney Corporation during the Aspire Campaign to benefit Princeton University students from Japan.

A. Ward Cobb, 1890, Fellowship.
Established in 1972 from a bequest of Fannie McCan Cobb for graduate fellowships unrestricted as to field of study.

Donald W. Collier *44 Fellowship in Chemical Engineering.
Founded by Donald W. Collier, for graduate fellowships in the Department of Chemical Engineering or the Department of Chemistry.

Agate Brown and George L. Collord Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1964 under the wills of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Collord to be used for support in the Department of Religion.

John Parker Compton Memorial Fellowship in International Relations.
Established in memory of John Parker Compton, Class of 1947, who was killed in Italy in 1945 while serving with the U.S. Army. Established in 1955 by his family—Mr. Randolph P. Compton, Class of 1915, and Mrs. Compton, Mrs. Ann Compton Stephens, and Mr. James R. Compton, Class of 1944. The gift was made to help strengthen world political institutions.

Harry J. Connolly ’06 Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1990 by the bequest of Caroline Connolly in memory of her husband, Harold, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Edward S. Corwin Fellowship.
Established in 1972 in memory of Professor Edward S. Corwin from the bequest of Mildred S. Corwin for a fellowship unrestricted as to field of study.

Harvey Lawrence Cory Fellowship.
Founded in 1955 by Mrs. Jane Cory Chew in memory of her brother Harvey Lawrence Cory, Class of 1917. The award is without restriction as to field of study.

Cotsen Endowment for the Humanities.
Established by Lloyd Cotsen, Class of 1950, in honor of his late wife, JoAnne Stolaroff Cotsen and their children. This endowment supports fellowships for the Program in the Ancient World, plus two other students associated with the Cotsen Faculty Fellow.

Everett Lake Crawford, Jr. Scholarship. Founded in 1919 by Everett Lake Crawford, Class of 1901, and Mrs. Crawford in memory of their son, Everett L. Crawford, Jr., and supplemented in 1966 by Mrs. Crawford.

Clark William Crocker Memorial Scholarship in International Studies.   Established in 1991 by the estate of Marion P. Crocker, the income from this fund supports graduate students in international studies.

Joseph E. Croft *73 Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1988 by Barbara Croft in memory of Joseph E. Croft. Income from this fund is used to provide summer research support for graduate students in the Departments of Comparative Literature and Classics.

Cross Summer Fellowships.
Established by Dr. Mary M. Cross to provide summer fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Comparative Literature.

Peter Flood Crossman, Class of 1911, Scholarship.
Established in 1977 through a trust created by Mr. Crossman, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Octavia Stone Cumbler Memorial Fellowship.
Established in 1961 for support of a graduate fellowship in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

Cummins Merit Fellowship.
Established in 1982 by the Cummins Engine Company, this fund provides financial assistance to engineering students.

Thomas F. Curley III Memorial Fund.
Established in 1985 by Mrs. M. Louise Curley in memory of her son Thomas, Class of 1982, to provide summer traveling fellowships in classics or classical studies to Italy, Greece, or the eastern Mediterranean for dissertation research.

Theodore Cuyler Fellowships in Economics.
Established in 1909 by the gift of Cornelius C. Cuyler in memory of his father, the endowment provides graduate fellowships in economics.

[back to top]

D

D’Amato Scholarship.
Established in 1928, this award, providing a contribution toward the student’s tuition, is made on the recommendation of the School of Architecture to the graduate student showing the greatest promise in architectural design.

Donald A. Davis, Sr. *62 School of Engineering Graduate Fund.  
Established in 2004 by Donald A. Davis *62, the income from this funds provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Shelby Cullom Davis and Kathryn W. Davis Fellowships.
Established in 1964 for students in the Department of History by allocation from the George Henry Davis, Class of 1886, and Shelby Cullom Davis, Class of 1930, Fund in support of the Department of History.

Henry G. Dechant Gift for Student Aid.
Established in 1960 by the estate of Henry G. Dechant, for undergraduate or graduate scholarships and fellowships unrestricted as to field of study.

Holmes Van Mater Dennis 3rd Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1992 for fellowships in classics and the humanities.

Elise Casey DeWitt and John Riegel DeWitt Scholarship.
Established in 1969 by bequests from John DeWitt, Class of 1904, and his wife, Elise, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Henry S. Dickerman, Jr. Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1993 for fellowships of an unrestricted nature.

William A. Dippel '50 *55 Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 2005 by Pamela Dippel Choney ’78 in honor of her father.

Harold Willis Dodds Merit Fellowship in Economics.
Established in 1981 by Frank A. and Laura H. Petito in honor of Salvatore J. and Teresa Petito.

Margaret Dodds Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1991, this fund supports meritorious students in the humanities and social sciences.

Arthur LeGrand Doty Fellowships in Civil and Electrical Engineering.
Two fellowships were founded in 1937 by the bequest of Arthur LeGrand Doty, Class of 1892. Appointment is made by vote of the Faculty Committee on the Graduate School on nomination by the dean of the Graduate School.

Thomas C. Doyle Graduate Fellowship for Sciences.
Established in 1996, this fellowship supports graduate students in the natural sciences.

Henry P. Du Bois Fellowship Fund in American Government.
Founded in 1938 as a memorial to the late Henry P. Du Bois, a graduate of Cornell University, by relatives and friends. A fellowship will be awarded to a graduate student whose main field of study is American government, national, state, or local, preference being given to qualified graduates of Cornell University.

John Dulles Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1988 as a memorial to former Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles. This fellowship will support graduate students in the Study of Leadership in Foreign Affairs, in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Charles J. Dunlap Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1956 under the will of Agnes C. Dunlap, this fund makes available annually two fellowships in American history.

John Dunlop Biological Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1951 by Dr. John Dunlop, Class of 1898, and Mrs. Dunlop. The income is used to support fellowships in the Department of Molecular Biology.

John S. and Mary R. Dunning, Class of 1858, Scholarship.  
Established in 1969 by the estate of John S. Dunning, Class of 1899, the income from this fund supports graduate students in Politics or Social Sciences with a preference given to student wanting to study at University of Heidelberg.

Arthur N. Dusenbury, Jr. Fellowship in Invertebrate Paleontology.
Established in 1954 by Arthur N. Dusenbury, Jr., Class of 1931, for the support of a graduate student in the Department of Geosciences.

Ruth Dutton Fund.
Founded in 1977, this fund supports fellowships unrestricted as to field of study.

[back to top]

E

Martin Egan Memorial Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1973 by the Trust of Cornelia C. Egan in memory of her husband. This fund is used to support graduate students in the Department of English whose research and dissertation are closely concerned with the cultural and intellectual heritage of England.

Helen and Carl Egner, Class of 1910, Scholarship.
Founded in 1965 by Helen and Carl Egner, Class of 1910, and enlarged by their bequests in 1981.

Samuel Elliot Scholarship.  
Established in 1920 by the estate of Samuel Elliot, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for students excelling in English Literature.

J. Wallace Ely ’32 Fund.
Established in 1983 by J. Wallace Ely, Class of 1932, to support graduate fellowships in economics.

Anthony Ephremides Fellowship in Electrical Engineering.

Established in 2007 by Anthony Ephremides *71 to provide financial assistance for graduate students in the Information Science and Systems area of the Department of Electrical Engineering.

Nesuhi Ertegun Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 1994 by Ahmet Ertegun for fellowship support in the area of Turkish Studies, this fund is grounded in the Near Eastern Studies Department and is administered by the Director of the Ertegun Foundation for Turkish Studies.

Exton-Bamford Fellowship Fund.
Supports fellowships in the Department of Philosophy.

[back to top]

F

Jules H. Falcer Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1984 by the bequest of Jules H. Falcer, friend of the University, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Max Farrand Fellowship.
Established in 1961 by the estate of Beatrix C. Farrand. It is to be awarded to a graduate student in American history who has shown qualities of leadership and distinction.

Wilbur C. Fisk Scholarship.
Founded in 1954 by the bequest of Mrs. Jessie Ormiston Fisk in memory of her husband, Wilbur C. Fisk, Class of 1890, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

William Alexander Fleet Fellowship.
Established in 1980 by the Reginald S. and Julia W. Fleet Foundation, this fund provides tuition and stipend support for a student from Magdalen College, Oxford.

Stephen P.A. Fodor *85 Fellowship Fund.
Established in 2000 by Stephen P.A. Fodor *85 to support graduate students in the Chemistry Department.

FMC Fellowship Fund in Chemistry.
Established in 2002 by FMC Corporation and alumni and friends of Princeton at FMC to honor the relationship between the company and the Department of Chemistry. This fund supports an outstanding advanced graduate student.

Gordon Forbes Memorial Scholarship.
Founded in 1919 by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John M. Forbes, and his widow in memory of Gordon Forbes, Class of 1905.

Malcolm S. Forbes Merit Fellowships.
This fund provides support for one or more graduate students a year, generally in the humanities or social sciences. Mr. Forbes endowed this fellowship in 1986 as a merit award to a deserving student of distinction, selected by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Emory Ford Fund for Student Aid.
Founded in 1963 under the will of Hazel Hopkins Ford, the income provides fellowships in the humanities and social sciences.

William Clay Ford, Jr. ’79 and Lisa Vanderzee Ford ’82 Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 1997 by William Clay Ford, Jr. ‘79 and Lisa Vanderzee Ford ’82 to support graduate students in the Princeton Environmental Institute.

Frelinghuysen Fellowship.
Founded in 1954 by Mr. Peter H. B. Frelinghuysen, Class of 1904, to provide a fellowship unrestricted as to department of study. Preference will be given to graduates of Princeton University. The tenure of the fellowship is normally for one academic year.

Albert M. Friend Fellowship Fund.
Established by William R. McAlpin in 1957, the income from this fund is used to support fellowships in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

[back to top]

G

Johnson Garrett ’35 Memorial Merit Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1986 to support graduate students, with preference given first to students in the Program of Near Eastern Studies.

Gordon S. Gavan ’30 Student Aid Fund.
Established under the will of Gordon S. Gavan, the income from this fund is used to support undergraduates and graduates in the Departments of English and Art and Architecture.

Kenneth W. Gemmill ’32 Fellowship in Politics.
Established in 1999 by the estate of Kenneth W. Gemmill ’32 provides support for graduate students in the field of politics.

Frank Gerth Jr. and Frank Gerth Sr. Graduate Fellowships.

Established in 2007 by the bequest of Frank E. Gerth, III '72 to assist graduate students in mathematics. 

Gibbons Fellowship.
Established in 1992 per the bequest of Felton L. Gibbons, provides support for graduate students in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

Wilfred H. Gillon Scholarship.
Established in 1966 by the bequest of Mrs. Florence E. Fitz in memory of her brother, Wilfred H. Gillon, Class of 1911.

Frank Gledhill Scholarship.
Founded in 1943 under the will of Frank Gledhill, Class of 1881.

Glenney-Libbey Teaching-Research Assistantship Fund.
Established in 1957 under the will of Walter Lester Glenney, this fund is for the support of graduate students in the field of biology.

Margaret Goheen Summer Research/ Travel Fellowships.
Awarded on a competitive basis to graduate students in support of summer travel and research.

Selma Goksel Graduate Fellowhip.
Established in 1994 by Ahmet Ertegun for fellowship support in the area of Turkish Studies, this fund is grounded in the Near Eastern Studies Department and is administered by the Director of the Ertegun Foundation for Turkish Studies.

Stephen Goldfeld Memorial Graduate Summer Fellowships.
This fund was established in 1996 as a memorial to the former Provost of Princeton University. It currently provides a $5,000 summer stipend to worthy Economics students.

Mary John Goree Scholarship.
Founded in 1947 by William M. John in memory of Mary John Goree to provide scholarships and fellowships to men and women who, at the time of their selection, are residents of Las Animas County, Colorado. Both graduates and undergraduates are eligible. The minimum amount awarded shall be full tuition, and may be increased to include travel and living expenses and the purchase of books and other necessities.

Graduate Fellowship for Geology Student.
Established by the Canadian Geological Alumni Fund to provide fellowships in geology.

Andrew White Green Scholarship.
Founded in 1905 by Cornelius C. Cuyler, Class of 1879, in memory of Andrew White Green.

Chancellor Green Mental Science Fellowship.
Originally founded in 1870 by the late Chancellor Henry W. Green, and permanently endowed in 1878 by his widow for support of fellowships in the Department of Philosophy. It is open first to any member of the senior class who is graduated and was a member of the University in full standing for at least two academic years prior to graduation.

Eleanor Green Fellowship for Studies in American Literature.
Established in 1970 by William Piel, Jr., Class of 1932, for fellowships in American or Latin American literature. Preference is given to students from Central or South America.

Ray Grimm Memorial Prize.
Established in 1985 to honor an advanced student in computational physics.

Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Jet Propulsion Fellowships.
Established to permit work toward the doctorate in those fields of science and engineering requiring knowledge of advanced research on rockets, ramjets, turbojets, and other jet propulsion devices. Recipients conduct their studies at the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Jet Propulsion Center set up in 1948 within the framework of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Archibald A. Gulick Fellowship in Public Affairs.
Established in 1956 by Mr. Graham D. Mattison, Class of 1926, in honor of Mr. Archibald A. Gulick, Class of 1897, former trustee and benefactor of Princeton University, this fellowship is awarded to selected students in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

David Elliston Guyer ’67 and Walter R.F. Guyer *41 Endowment Fund.
Founded by David Elliston Guyer ’67 and Walter R.F. Guyer *41 for unrestricted graduate fellowships.

[back to top]

H

Marc Haas ’29 Memorial Fellowship.
Established in 1991 by the Marc Haas and Helen Hotze Haas Foundation, the income from endowment is used to provide fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Art and Archaeology, with preference to students studying Chinese Art.

Charles and Margaret Halsey Scholarship.
Established in 1981 by a bequest from Charles W. Halsey, Class of 1898, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Parker D. Handy Fellowship.
Established in 1940 by Cortlandt W. Handy, Class of 1911, in memory of his father, Parker D. Handy, Class of 1879, to support a graduate fellowship in the Department of Politics for a student who is equipping himself or herself for active participation in public affairs.

Charles N. Hanna and Margaret T. Hanna Fund.
A portion of the endowment is to fund fellowship support for minority graduate students.

Eli and Britt Harari University Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1996 by Dr. Eli Harari *73 in support of international graduate students in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.

Harbison Memorial Fellowship in Human Resources.
Established in 1977 in memory of Frederick Harris Harbison by his family, friends, and colleagues.

Norman W. Haring Fellowship Fund.
Founded in 1944 upon a bequest of Norman Walter Haring. Income from this fund is used to support graduate students in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

William R. Harris Memorial 1912 Scholarship. Established by Mrs. Frederick P. King and Basil Harris, Class of 1912, in memory of their father.

Frank Hartley Fellowship in Chemistry. Established in 1976 from the trust of Emma A. Hartley, this fund endows one or more fellowships to encourage advanced study and promote original research in the Department of Chemistry.

Charles H. Hartshorne Fellowship Fund. Founded in 1956 under the will of Mrs. Sarah Murray Hartshorne in memory of her husband, this fund is for the support of a graduate fellowship in the Department of History or Politics.

F.K. Haskell Fellowship Fund. This fund provides general fellowship support to Princeton Graduate Students in any area of study.

Harvard Fellowship Fund. Founded in 1905 by one of the fellows of Harvard University.

Richard E. Heitman *53 *61 Fellowship in the Department of Chemical Engineering.

Established in 2010 by the bequest of Richard E. Heitman *53 *61 to assist graduate students in the Department of Chemical Engineering.

Hellenic Studies.   Established by Mrs. Helen B. Seeger, the income from this fund provides support to students of Greek or Cypriot origin or studying Greek.

Albert C. Hencken Traveling Fellowship. Established in 1964 by gift of Professor Hugh Hencken, Class of 1924, in honor of his father, the endowment provides for a traveling fellowship from time to time for a graduate student in art and archaeology.

Bayard Henry, Class of 1876, Graduate Fellowship Fund. Established in 1961 in honor of Bayard Henry by members of his family. The income from this fund is to be used to grant annually an outstanding fellowship in the social sciences and the humanities.

Joseph Henry Fellowships. Established in 1962, these fellowships support studies in the general area of science and human affairs, with particular emphasis on the history and philosophy of science.

Leon and Jo Heuser '36 Endowed University Fellowship in Chemistry.   Established in 1997 by the estate of Leon and Jo Heuser, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the Department of Chemistry.

George S. Heyer Graduate Fellowship in American/Modern Art History. Established in 1999 by The Brown Foundation, Inc., in honor of George S. Heyer ’52, this fellowship supports an outstanding graduate student in the Department of Art and Archaeology.

Clarence J. Hicks Memorial Fellowship in Industrial Relations. Founded in 1946 by the trustees of Industrial Relations Counselors, Inc., and derived from the gifts of individuals and corporations in recognition of the vision and leadership of the late Clarence J. Hicks in promoting better teaching, research, and practice in the profession of industrial relations.   The purpose of this fellowship is to enable a qualified individual to undertake the study of industrial relations in accordance with a program approved by the director of the Industrial Relations Section and, preferably, to allow the fellow to divide time between study and research at Princeton and field work in industry.

Charles H. Higgins Scholarship.
Founded in 1926 by the bequest of Charles H. Higgins, Class of 1903.

William T. Hildrup, Jr. Scholarship.
Established in 1949 by the bequest of Mrs. Florence N. Houck Hildrup in memory of her husband, William T. Hildrup, Jr.

Philip K. Hitti Fellowship in Oriental Studies.
This fellowship, established by the Syrian and Lebanese American Federation of the Eastern States, is to be awarded to a candidate highly qualified to carry on studies in this field and is limited to those who are of Syrian, Lebanese, or Palestinian origin, or of any branch of the Arabic-speaking stock.

Walter F. Hollenbach, Class of 1903, Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1980 by the bequest of Walter F. Hollenbach, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Janet L. Holmgren *74 Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 2008 by Janet L. Holmgren *74 to support women graduate students.

Douglas Horton, Class of 1912, Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1969 by a bequest from his estate.

Frank Ray Howe, Class of 1906, Scholarship.
Established in 1993 by the bequest of Frank Ray Howe, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Michael E. Hriskevich *52 Graduate Fellowship.

Established in 2006 by Michael E. Hriskevich *52 to assist graduate students at Princeton.

Michael W. Huber Graduate Fellowship in Environmental Studies.
This endowment undergirds the interdisciplinary Princeton Environmental Institute. It was established in 1997.

Anne Hulsizer and Aletta Hill Scholarship.  
Established in 1987 by William H. Hulsizer, the income from this fund provides general fellowship support for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Theodore Whitefield Hunt Fellowship in English.
Founded in 1930 by the will of Professor Emeritus Theodore Whitefield Hunt, Class of 1865.

The Yan Huo *94 Graduate Fellowship.

Established in 2006 by Yan Huo *94 to provide support for graduate students from outside the United States.

Donald and Mary Hyde Fellowship Fund.
Established in 1981 by the Four Oaks Foundation. The income from this fund is to be used for research abroad in the humanities. The fellowships are restricted to graduate students who have completed the general examination in one of the following eight departments: art and archaeology, classics, East Asian studies, English, German , Near Eastern studies, Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Cultures, and French and Italian. The Hyde Research Fellowship is for a period of up to 12 months; short-term awards may also be available for a summer research trip not to exceed three months.

[back to top]

I

Industrial Relations Fellowships.
This endowment, which is administered by the Department of Economics, provides fellowships for students with an interest in industrial relations.

William Harvey Inslee Student Aid Fund.
Established in 1972 by the bequest of Herbert C. Inslee, Class of 1893, for the support of graduate students in engineering.

International Architectural Foundation.
To be used to aid graduate students from underdeveloped countries.

 

International Finance Fellowship.
Awarded to students in international economics, normally in the second or third year of his or her advanced study.

John R. Irwin Fellowship Fund.
Established to provide graduate fellowships in history.

[back to top]

J

J.S.K. Mathematical Fellowship Fund.
Founded in 1873 by a resident of New York City. In accordance with the deed of gift, the income from this fund is to be “used exclusively for University fellowships in the Department of Mathematics.”

Lucretia Davis Jephson Fund.
Established by the estate of Mr. and Mrs. George Jephson, this fellowship supports graduate students in need regardless of field of study.

Percy Johnston Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1981 through the bequest of Belle Rogers Johnston in memory of her husband and out of respect and affection for their friend, Harold H. Helm, Class of 1920, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Robert F. Johnston, Class of 1958, Fellowship in Molecular Biology.
Established in 1993 by Robert F. Johnston '58 P96 to provide financial aid to graduate students in the Department of Molecular Biology.

[back to top]

 
K


Erich Kahler Comparative Literature Summer Fellowship Fund.

Established in 1992 per the request of Alice L. Kahler, this fund provides support for graduate students in the Department of Comparative Literature.

Kaye Scholarship.
Founded in 1911 by the bequest of John William Kaye, Class of 1874, in memory of his father and mother, Thomas and Lucy Kaye.

John Henry Keener Scholarship.
Founded in 1927 by the Class of 1897 in memory of John H. Keener of that class, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Mary R. and William N. Kelley ’40 and William N. Kelley ’66 Princeton Environmental Institute Graduate Fellowship.
Established in 1999 by William N. Kelley ’66, and Mary R. and William N. Kelley ’40 to support graduate students in the Princeton Environmental Institute.

Edwin W. Kemmerer Fellowship.
Established in memory of Professor Edwin W. Kemmerer from his bequest in 1972, this fellowship is unrestricted as to field of study.

George Khoury ’65 Fellowship.
Established in 1987 in memory of George Khoury, Class of 1965, by family, friends, and organizations with which he was associated. The income from this fund is used to assist deserving graduate students in the Department of Molecular Biology.

Kidder, Peabody and Company Fellowship.
Established in 1962 by contributions from Kidder, Peabody and Company and Frederick L. Moore, Class of 1918, a partner of the firm. It will be awarded to a student enrolled in the Department of Economics.

C. O. von Kienbusch Fellowship in Art and Archaeology.
Established in 1958 by C. O. von Kienbusch, Class of 1906, this fellowship is for a student preparing to teach in the field of art and archaeology.

Robert Ogilvie Kirkwood, Class of 1897, Scholarship.
Established in 1965 by the will of Elizabeth S. Kirkwood in memory of her father, Robert Ogilvie Kirkwood, Class of 1897.

Richard Kaye Korn Prize.
Established in 1982 by the Richard and Peggy Korn Foundation to honor the ablest graduate student in astrophysical sciences.

Kornhauser-Gervasio Graduate Fellowship in Transportation Engineering.
This fund was established in 1995 by Alain and Katherine Kornhauser to support a student in transportation engineering.

A.B. Krongard Fellowship.  
Established in 1997 by A.B. Krongard, the income from this fund provides fellowship support to graduate students in the area of national security with preference given to with US military background or government agency.

King Peh Kwoh Memorial Fellowship.
Established in 1999 by Daniel S.W. Kwoh ‘70, in honor of his father, to support graduate students from China studying in any field at Princeton.

[back to top]

 
L


William Greig Lapham Biological Fellowship Fund.

Founded by Jared Stout Lapham. Established as a scholarship in 1934 in memory of William Greig Lapham, Class of 1878, and converted into a fellowship fund in 1937. The income from this fund is used for the support of fellowships in biology.

Hubert G. Larson Fellowship.
Established in 1983 by the bequest of Hubert G. Larson, Graduate class of 1920, for support of fellowships in economics.

Helen Doherty Lassen Fellowships.
Established in 1966 by the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation. Two fellowships are awarded annually to students in the Program in Latin American Studies. Those fellows who are also affiliated with the Department of History will be designated Dana C. Munro Fellows.

Lawrence of Arabia Fellowships.
Provided for by a bequest of Lowell Thomas for graduate students in fields relating to the Near East.

Dr. Stanley A. Lefkowitz *70 Graduate Student Aid Fund.  
Established in 2000 by Dr. Stanley A. Lefkowitz *70 in support of graduate studies with a preference given to graduate students in the Department of Chemistry.

Leschly Family Scholarship Fund.  
Established by Mr. Jan Leschly and Dr. Lotte Leschly for undergraduate or graduate aid.  

Richard A. Lester *36 Fellowship in Industrial Relations.
Established in 2007 by Mrs. Jack Tarver in honor of Richard A. Lester, Professor and former Dean of the Faculty at Princeton.

Marion J. Levy, Jr. Fellowship.
Established in 1997 by the Lynford Family Charitable Trust in honor of Professor Marion J. Levy. This graduate fellowship is used to support students in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Sir Arthur Lewis Fund. Established in 1996 in memory of W. Arthur Lewis, this fund provides fellowship support to graduate students in the humanities and social sciences.

Herbert Lewis '47 Student Aid Fund.
Established in 2007 by the bequest of Herbert R. Lewis '47 to provided assistance to graduate and undergraduate students at Princeton.


William Libbey Fellowship Fund in Physical Geography.
Founded in 1932 by the will of Mrs. Libbey in memory of her husband, William Libbey, Class of 1877, formerly professor of physical geography. The income from this fund is used for the support of a fellowship in physical geography.

Mary Jane and Robert L. Linder *41 Graduate School Endowed Fund.  
Established in 2000 from the estate of Mary Jane and Robert L. Linder ’41 in support of graduate studies with a preference given to graduate students in the Department of Economics.

Halsted and Ruth Archbald Little Scholarship.
Established by the bequests made in 1981 and 1986 by Halsted “Jigs” Little, Class of 1901, and by his wife, Ruth Archbald, for undergraduate and graduate aid.

Helen M. T. Locke Fellowships.
Established in 1962 under the will of Helen M.T. Locke, the bequest has been designated by the University for fellowship support through the Council of Humanities.

William M. Love ’38 Fellowship.
Established in 1987 by the bequest of William M. Love, Class of 1938, the income from this fund provides fellowships for graduate students with preference given first to students concentrating in fusion engineering.

Leon Lowenstein Foundation Fellowship Fund.  
Established in 2004 by the Leon Lowenstein Foundation, income from this endowment provides fellowship support to Master in Finance students in the Bendheim Center for Finance.

Walter J. Lowrie Jr., Class of 1890, Scholarship.  
Endowed in 1986 by bequest of Mrs. Walter Lowrie Jr., this endowment provides general fellowship support with a preference given to graduate students in the Departments of Philosophy and Religion.

Robert Lowry Fellowships.
Established by Robert Lowry, Class of 1912, the income from endowment provides fellowship aid unrestricted as to field of study.

Charles W. Lummis Scholarships.
Established for the support of undergraduate and graduate students, this fund is unrestricted as to field of study.

J. Edward Lundy *40 Fellowship for Economics.
Established in 2008 by Oscar B. Marx, III '60 and other Ford Motor Company executives in honor of J. Edward Lundy *41, Professor of Economics, to support graduate students in the Department of Economics.


Lyon Memorial Scholarship.

Founded in 1965 by the bequest of Natalie V. Mabey in memory of her brothers, Charles ’00, Harry ’01, and Chester ’05.

Chester A. Lyon, Class of 1905, Memorial Scholarship.
Established in 1976 by the bequest of Florence Lyon in memory of her husband.