“I joined the 1746 Society because I love Princeton, and I feel that a lot of what has happened to me since graduation is because of the great education I got there and the great Princetonians that have supported me.”
-- Mellody Hobson ’91
The 1746 Society is Princeton’s program for honoring and thanking alumni and friends of the University who have arranged a bequest or planned gift to Princeton. Anyone who notifies Princeton that the University is named as the beneficiary of a gift through his or her estate, or through a planned gift during his or her lifetime, is automatically enrolled as a member of the Society.
Founded in 1995, on the eve of Princeton’s 250th Anniversary, the 1746 Society has over 2,400 living members, including those who choose to remain anonymous. See the following lists:
The 1746 Society gratefully acknowledges benefactors whose estate gifts to the University show that the future of Princeton was close to their hearts. For a list of members of the 1746 Society who passed away in 2017—as well as those not previously enrolled in the Society from whom a bequest was received—please see the 1746 Society In Memoriam list.
Examples of planned gifts and bequests include:
- A gift of any amount to Princeton through a will provision or revocable “living” trust.
- A 401(k), IRA, SEP, or similar retirement plan beneficiary designation.
- A charitable remainder trust
- A charitable gift annuity
- A pooled income fund
- A charitable lead trust
- A life insurance policy beneficiary designation
- A bank account, Totten trust, or similar arrangement
Members of the 1746 Society receive certain benefits, including:
- Recognition in University publications, including the Princeton Alumni Weekly and Gifts to Princeton
- Professional, personalized gift planning services
- Reports on the investment performance of gifts to Princeton and highlights of the gift planning program
- A handsome 1746 Society pin—a badge of distinction
Please call the Office of Gift Planning at 609.258.6318 to discuss how you can become a member of the 1746 Society. If you have already named Princeton as a beneficiary of a bequest or planned gift, please let us know through our online form so that we can welcome you as a member.